Saturday, September 17, 2011

Connect.

So in a couple months I will be celebrating my 5th wedding anniversary.  It has been an exciting time for me.  I am who I am today because of my wife.  She affirms my faith and is always there to spur me on in the times of difficulty.  When I took the position at Crosswind we were still dating, but she left with me to simply attend and even volunteer her time in the student ministries.  She did not have to do that but she loved me.  Time and time again she has proved that.
It seems in many ways a man reverts back to being a child when he gets married.  I suppose he clings to the boy inside of him more because the weight of responsibility gets so high everyday he is married, he wants to remember the day when he had no responsibility.  Life was easier then.  Someone else took care of you, when you did something stupid you got punished, but you still kept a sense of dignity.  Your days were filled with what you wanted to do and how you wanted to do them.  You had your identity and people loved you for who you were.  But you can only connect so far with them.  You could only go so far in relationship and still keep a sense of purity in your faith life.  You went to bed alone...left your own devices and thoughts.
Then she comes along.  She has been waiting for you.  Waiting for you to get it,   to hear what she has been hearing, to see what she has always seen.  She had the same issues, she wants the same things.  The same faith.  Then you take a step, to sacrifice your identity and be known also for hers.  To live for something greater for yourself and ....grow up.  I tell you, its worth it.  But after 5 years you connect on levels you never thought were possible.  I don't just mean sex...sex is temporary, based on sensation and the moment.  If your tired, hurt, or not "feeling it", its not a good basis for a relationship.  But when you look into her eyes and see everything you want and want to be, there is nothing greater.
So are wiling to connect on deeper level?  You have a choice.   Are you wanting  to move into areas of Gods heart that can only be seen through marriage?  Are you willing to be married for reasons greater than sex?  Are you ready to take some responsibility and connect?

No comments:

Post a Comment