Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Pan.

One of my favorite movies growing up was Hook.  Robin Williams at his best, next to Mrs. Doubtfire.  A man overwhelmed with the pressures of family and work gets to relive his childhood as the greatest childhood fantasy, Peter Pan.  As I get older, I realize how I wish I could do that.  For one, childhood was simple and consistant.  The change in your life simply happened but it was still scary.  There was Neverland, where things never changed, river always flowed, the Lost Boys always won (except in my Fantasy football league), your imagination is what put food on the table, and you never grew up.  You stopped.....growing.  Than there was Cptn. Hook.  The imagery of adulthood to a child.  Rules, responsibilities, and evil!  I fight everyday to not be Cptn. Hook, I do not want to be the person everyone hates and reviles...especially my kids!  I want to be the hero!  Just like Peter Pan never grew up, neither did Hook.  The very essence of Neverland is anti-leadership.  No change. No obligations. No catalysts...except Pan.  This was Peter Pan's world, his fantasy.  Then why did he leave?  What caused him to escape the fairy tale to the bedroom balcony of London's Wendy Darling?  Boredom?  Sure.  Curiosity?  maybe.  But underneath, I believe it was leadership and the need for change.  An inner turmoil, that there was more.  There were voids that had to be filled.
I say all that to say, I see a lot of people enjoying the same things they have enjoyed for ages and never change.  The same things still excite them.  Unless they are exposed to something outside of their world. To be exposed to something outside your sphere and to go back to the sphere to explain it or take people there makes a leader.
Where have you been that others need to go?  What have you been shown that others need to know about and see?
I am Peter Pan.  Sure, there are days that I stay in Neverland too long, but God has allowed to me to enter worlds unknown to my native land, so I can be a witness to what He is doing.  So I can show those around me what is really out there.  Peter Pan was the only character really allowed to come and go as he pleased.  But every time he left he got older.  Think about it.  bangarang!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment